Thursday, September 15, 2011

15. Things that make me feel like a runner

I am in Chicago this week.  Illinois is where I was raised (and developed my hatred for Green Bay and the White Sox) but I rarely came downtown Chicago.  I started spending more time downtown when I was in College but  still only maybe spent 10 nights a year downtown.

I come to Chicago for business now on a monthly basis.  I stay at a hotel about a block from Lake Michigan and just north of Navy Pier.  Most evenings when I am not tied to the laptop I walk the streets looking for new buildings and exploring neighborhoods that I haven't ever seen. I have spent several afternoons and many a mile running up and down the wonderful lake shore. For whatever the reason running in a city other than city in which I live makes me feel like an actual runner.  I think what makes it awesome in Chicago  is the giant buildings and Lake Michigan but perhaps my favorite part of running in Chicago is running through the neighborhoods.  Just last month I ran from downtown Chicago to Wrigley field.  Might sound dumb but that's a cool run.  These are the times where I am so grateful that I can run.

I tore my calf again a couple of weeks ago and although the doctor said to keep off of it I couldn't resist walking the lake shore.  So this morning I walked about 45 mins up and down just north of Navy Pier.  Saw a lot of people training for the Chicago Marathon which comes up a month from now.  So wish that I could go out and run.

No comments:

Post a Comment