Monday, September 12, 2011

Injury update

This isn't so much as an update as a potentially letting myself off the hook post.  As a child I had to wear those funny looking "run forest, run" braces as night to lengthen my achilles tendons because I used to walk on my toes all the time.   I've never had any real issues with this part of my body until about 2 years ago, when I was training on an elliptical and think that is where I caused some damage.

I was able to get through IMCDA just fine, lots of icing and like I said earlier the Ionto treatment really helped.  It worked so well that after IMCDA was over I thought I was in the clear but I still waited about a month before I did any real running because I wanted to let my body heal for a while.  I went out on my first run and wanted to concentrate on getting going faster, I must have pushed it to hard and I felt this stabbing feeling in my calf muscle opposite the foot with the Achilles tendon issue.  I thought it was just a pulled muscle so I tried to stretch it out, didn't work.  I hobbled home and it felt worse the next day.  I figured it was just a little tweak so I gave it a week and everything seemed to be just fine, went on a slow run with the boys (who by the way have already gotten into running, Tyler is in XC and hes good, very proud Dad.) and the same feeling came back about .75 into a mile.  Went to the Doctor and the Doctor said no more running for a month I tore my calf muscle.  That was about a month ago, went to my last PT session today they said I am good to go.

Well I went out tonight while Adam was at soccer practice and @#$%&! the same pain came right back.  I came home and iced it.  I think its only a grade 1 tear, but I had been pretty good for the last month about staying off of it but now I am right back to where I started.  So I going to call the doc, and see if there is a more aggressive treatment than just RICE, but everything on the Internet shows that RICE is pretty much my only option. 

Went to the PT today, and we are back to square one, It looks like its more of a minor grade 2 tear.  No bruising but some minor swelling.  I was so hoping to get to back to full strength.  This time they want me to stay off it for at minimum of 6 weeks.  I asked if it was OK to swim, and they said as long as I don't kick a lot.  So all the swimming I wasn't planning on doing this early in the training, guess I am now.

I am angry but realize that I have 3 months before the real training gets going so as long as I push myself away from the dinner table and swim a lot I think I should be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment