Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Backstory

I am married and have three wonderful children along with a great wife.  When I told the boys that I was going to do another IM, they were very excited.  Not becasue Dad is trying to validate his IMCDA finish, or trying to show himself and others that the Ironman isn't just something to cross off a bucket list.  They were excited becasue they knew I was going to purchase them something nice when this was all over.  You see when I trained for IMCDA, I was a little, what's the word......moody,angry, aggitated, the night before my big workouts.  I think it was the anxiety of it all and I just didn't do great the night before a big workout.  So I told the family that if they stick with me I will get them something a little special after IMCDA.  I made good on my promise to the boys and got them a bike and an electric scooter (Edison didn't really want anything so he got some extra wrestle time with me.)  So when the boys heard that I signed up for IMTX, they are already starting to create lists ofwhat they wanted.  Don't worry I am sure I will make them pay, one way or another.

I am very excited to have signed up for IMTX.  I have seen the times on average are a little slower than most IM in fact if you take just the average finish time of every IM, IMTX is amongst the slowest, supposedly making it the hardest.  Speculation is that the 1st IMTX had a lot of newbies in it and therefore caused the slower times.  All in all though the average time was only about 10 mins slower than CDA, which means they all should be taken seriously.

I know I have some limiting factors going into the race next May.  1st, is probably my wieght although not obesse I really do need to lose 20-30 lbs to be able to compete where I want to.  Losing this weight would put me at about 185-190, the likes of which I haven't seen since the beginning of High School.  Another major factor to me hitting my time is going to be the heat.  This kind of falls back onto the first factor, becasue if I can lose the wieght I am hoping the heat won't bother me as much, I certainly will be out there a shorter period regardless.  I just don't do well in hot weather, I mean I can do it, but running is so much easier/fun when its 40 degrees as opposed to 70. 

Now to the strengths.  Although I am not fast at swimming, its my strongest event.  This isn't to imply I am good at swimming (I'm really not) but I would anticipate without starting the training yet that I will end up out of the water at IMTX at about 1:10.  I am little thicker than most of the guys and girls out there and although I am sure to manhandled  I can maintain my course.  If knowledge is power, I know that as soon as I get out of the water there will be about a billion people pass me 10 mins into the bike, and because I already know it I am more than fine with it.

More strengths later.

No comments:

Post a Comment