Sunday, January 8, 2017

#1 Redo the intro

A little about myself.  I am 43, male, 6ft and 240lbs.  I have participated in triathlons, marathons, and other ons.  I have always been active but have never been in the shape that I really wanted.  My 1st Ironman (CDA) I was about 200lbs that was the best shape of my life.  Which was back in 2003.  For Ironman Texas I was about 210lb.  Not bad but not great.  I only mention this to give you some back ground to the four reasons that I am doing IM Wisconsin.




First-I felt as though people looked at me and say well shoot if that guy can do an Ironman I can to.(I will talk about the flight to Las Vegas down the road to illustrate)  I don't want to be the lowest common denominator.  Look I am smart enough to know that just accomplishing an IM particularly two (the second to validate that the first one) wasn't easy.  I am not looking to take away anyone else's accomplishment this isn't about you its about me.   I don't need to qualify for KONA I just need to do an Ironman where I am in Kona-ish like shape.  Once that happens I think I can let it go. 




Second-My Wife is participating in her first Ironman.  She has seen me cross the finish line a couple of times now and she has been bitten.  I want to be on the course with her so that we can share this together.




Third-My kids, they are 13/15/17 and this makes them proud of me.  Nothing makes you feel better as a father then when you kids look up to you.  The older they get the harder that is to do.




Fourth-I spent IM Texas spending half the race telling myself I couldn't do it.  I persevered and the fact that I got it done in awful heat was a great experience.  I really dug deep and found the strength not to give up.  Something I am very proud of.  What I am not proud of is that I spent to much time telling myself this sucks and not enough time enjoying it.  I am looking at IM Wisconsin to embrace that fact that I can do it and that I should enjoy every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment