Tuesday, January 10, 2017

#3 Training Plan

Briefly let me touch on the training plans for the my last couple of Ironmans.  Essentially Sundays Off, Monday 1.5Hr of either running or biking and then I would repeat that for Monday-Thursday and then Saturdays were big days either long runs or long bikes or both.  As a newbie I was very concerned about making sure I could do the distance so I spent a lot of time getting in a lot of mileage and never focused on strength or speed.  In fact purposely never went hard hard in training because I am a little bigger and was afraid of injury.  Never spent time on speed work really either.


So a little different approach for IM3.
-Mondays a small brick work out (that will be the theme) 1B/1R, so 1 hour of bike and then running.
-Tuesday a hard day of biking not distance but strength. 
-Weds Cross training, like lifting or hockey or something other than IM like training. 
-Thursdays Stretching and Yoga.  I am tight as a rubber band, honest to goodness you have never met anyone less flexible than me.  My Achilles and Calves have been to multiple doctors and physical therapists.  So we are trying to make a concerted effort to make those muscles long.
-Friday brick work but with a twist it will be about 1.5 times bigger than the brick on Monday
-Saturday same brick as Friday.  My hope is that doing the bricks back to back make my legs tired going into the second day so that I get more out of it without having to put in more time.
Sundays-Rest


*Its all subject to change but I will build for a couple of weeks and then make it a light week and then slowly build again and repeat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment